France - Aquitaine Michelin Travel Map. When it comes to visiting the Aquitaine region in France, there are numerous fantastic sites worth exploring. While the Michelin Travel Map provides a comprehensive overview of the region, here are the top five sites you should consider visiting:
1. Bordeaux: The capital city of the Aquitaine region, Bordeaux is renowned for its wine production and stunning architecture. Explore the historic city center, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and visit attractions such as the Place de la Bourse, Bordeaux Cathedral, and the Cité du Vin, a museum dedicated to wine.
2. Dune of Pilat (Dune du Pilat): Located near Arcachon Bay, the Dune of Pilat is the tallest sand dune in Europe and offers breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean, the Banc d'Arguin, and the surrounding forest. You can climb the dune and enjoy a unique perspective of the landscape.
3. Saint-Émilion: This charming medieval village is famous for its vineyards and picturesque streets. Explore the underground catacombs, visit the monolithic church, and indulge in wine tastings at the numerous châteaux in the area.
4. Biarritz: Situated on the Atlantic coast, Biarritz is a popular beach town known for its glamorous atmosphere. Enjoy the beautiful beaches, go surfing, visit the iconic Rocher de la Vierge (Virgin's Rock), and explore the elegant city center with its grand buildings and fashionable boutiques.
5. Sarlat-la-Canéda: Located in the Dordogne department, Sarlat-la-Canéda is a well-preserved medieval town with stunning architecture. Stroll through the narrow streets lined with stone buildings, visit the lively market, and admire landmarks like the Cathedral of Saint-Sacerdos and the Château de Puymartin.
These are just a few highlights of the Aquitaine region, and there are many more delightful places to explore. The Michelin Travel Map will be a helpful resource in discovering other scenic routes, towns, and attractions in the area.